Updated: Dec 27, 2020
My husband shared some of his childhood stories and one of them was to save money and buy Cream Rolls from a special bakery in our hometown. As I am from the same city, I am aware of the yummy taste of those cream rolls from that bakery. It is my favorite too. Whenever we go to any bakery, we try cream rolls. To give him a surprise, I have recreated that taste with an extra twist with added Caramel, as the Caramel-Cream is his most favorite cream. The magic works and very happy to share the same with you all. If you do not like caramel sauce, you can use regular whip cream (beat to fluff it up or use ready-made cool whip ).
To stroll down memory lane, I made a quick and easy Caramel Cream roll with a puff pastry sheet without compromising the taste.
Prep: 30 mins Cooking Time: 20 to 22 mins
1 Packet puff pastry sheet (2 sheets in a packet) 2 tablespoon milk
1 egg 2 cups heavy whipping cream or store-bought Coolwhip
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon caramel sauce (make your own or store-bought)
1. Make Homemade Caramel Sauce ----> Caramelized 3 tablespoon of sugar first. Then add 2 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons heavy cream and cook for a minute. Make the sauce ahead of time and cool down enough to add it to the whipping cream.
2. Take one Pastry sheet and Roll out the puff pastry sheet a little bit to make them a little thinner.
3. Then cut every sheet into long ribbon-like 8 strips.
4. Roll a piece of puff pastry sheet around the steel cone/mold. (You can buy the mold on Amazon. It's not costly.)
5. Make 8 pieces of Roll.
6.Break the egg and add the milk and mix it.
7. Egg wash each roll.
8. Bake them in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 40 minutes until they are golden brown.
9. Take out from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
10. Take the whipping cream in a mixing bowl and whisk it until it is light and fluffy or take it in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer.
11. Add the powder sugar and cold caramel sauce to the whipped cream and mix it.
12. Take the cream mixture in a piping bag and put a star nozzle in the piping bag. (take a zip lock bag, if you do not have a piping bag, and cut the tip )
13. Take out the steel mold from the room temperature baked pastry.
14. Take room temperature puff pastry cone/roll and pipe in the caramel whipped cream inside of the roll.
15. Serve the fresh cream roll with a warm cup of black coffee.